Tuesday, April 10, 2012

It didn't suck

I ran last night.  Outside.  It didn't suck.
Workout(Run / Jog) : Distance 2.34 mi, Duration 30:00, Pace 12:49, Speed 4.7 mi/h

It was cold and windy and I didn't want to go.  I was either going to pack up my bag and drive to the gym for a workout that probably would have ended up being yet another swim because I wasn't in the mood to run or bike or I was going to throw on my running shoes and head out the door.  I chose wisely.

I have run this route many times in the past and it has been painful for me.  As soon as I settled into a jog, I had the feeling this run was going to be different.  My breathing was easy and I found myself running much further without a walk break than I had in a very very long time.  In fact, I would say that I definitely ran a greater percentage of the route than I had ever been able to before.  I can tell my overall fitness is so much better.  I took quick, short walk breaks and picked up with running again without needing to convince my brain to follow along.  I really prefer running in the dark not only because no one is watching me, but also because it gives me less distractions than daylight and I am able to concentrate on the task at hand so much better.

My shins didn't hurt one bit, but I did have a side cramp early on that I worked through and my left foot was slightly uncomfortable.  None of these issues were enough to keep me from moving forward.  It felt great.  I needed it.

Yesterday was a very rough day and this run not only let me pound out some of my aggression, but also gave me a way to end my day on a high note.

No comments: