Thursday, June 5, 2008


I've got big thighs. Always have, even at my skinniest. Shorts + running = lots of riding up and pulling down, riding up and pulling down, and so on. Therefore, even before I knew that running skorts/skirts existed, I was looking for an alternative. When I searched for that alternative, I found the running skirt community. But I was still amazed when I looked through the skirts available and found that it seemed like only skinny girls were wearing them. I bought the running skirt at The Running Room in an XL and it fit, but just didn't feel right when I ran in it. The shorts were riding up and the skirt would as well. It didn't seem like an alternative to the shorts, in fact I found that I was pulling them down even more. Friends of mine were planning to order team skirts for a relay race from RunningSkirts.com and offered to throw one in for me to get the discount. I looked through the whole site and at the time I could again only find skinny girls. They said that their skirts went up to a size 16/18, but I couldn't be sure that it was a TRUE 16/18 or the same as the Running Room XL I already had. I emailed the company to ask and they assured me that it was true to size. I still just couldn't seem to invest the money without being sure. Soon after that I found running skirts at Shopko (a Target-like store in MN and WI). They were comfortable and had a bit of the coverage I was looking for, but again something just wasn't right. When I decided to run the Green Bay Half Marathon, I knew I had to find something that was better to wear for that distance. So I went back to RunningSkirts.com and looked through their photos one more time - and low and behold there were FAT GIRLS like me! They were wearing the athletic-style skirt with the shorts underneath and a little more length in the skirt. Hallelujah! I quickly ordered one in the size 16/18 and anxiously awaited its arrival. My inaugural use of the skirt was for the 15k that I mentioned yesterday. I was completely amazed that it did not ride up on me and I actually felt comfortable walking/running around in it with my thunder thighs. I wore the same skirt for the half marathon and felt the very same way about it. I was so happy that I took the leap and bought one. Without sounding like a commercial for the company - seriously, fellow full-figured runner girls - buy one of these skirts!! I couldn't run without mine!!

1 comment:

NB said...

Hi Jessica,
came here thru CRN, hey, we are as much , if not slower than you. And yes, it does seem as if everyone on the blogs says they are slow, but for them slow is 10-11 min miles whereas for us thats fast!!
We are preparing for a marathon in Oct,just to see if we can do it.
Keep running.