Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay

I am so disappointed in myself. My pace is getting worse, if you can believe that!! Granted, I haven't been doing much running outside of the races I've done, but I am really sucking lately. I did the Lumberjack Days 5k on Saturday and these are my results:

overall place: 1017 out of 1065
division place: 137 out of 144
gender place: 543 out of 582
time: 46:10
pace: 14:52
1 mile: 14:18
chip time : 45:12

That's one of my worst 5k times EVER! Actually, my watch says that my 1 mile time was 13:18 - weird. It was pretty hot, but not too bad, better than at the Women's Race. My main problem lately comes from my shin pain. The first half mile is usually okay, because I'm running, but miles 1.5 - 2.5 SUCK. Pain pain pain. The pain goes away when I'm running at my usual 11 min mile pace, but when I slow down to my walk breaks, the pain begins immediately. Since I can't maintain that 11min/mile running pace, I have to suffer through the pain while walking. It is so bad that I am hobbling and wincing in pain most times. I've had loads of time to reflect on this lately and am wondering if it is my shoes? When I walk, I feel like I am turning my feet outward, which is putting stress on my legs - perhaps different shoes will correct this!? When I first began wearing my shoes when they were new, I didn't have this problem.

Something needs to be done. If this continues, I simply cannot run anymore. I will not tolerate anymore 45 minute 5k races. It is embarassing! My husband complains when he has to do training runs with people who run 9 min miles - HA. I can only dream of that kind of pace!!!

Good news is that I've really taken to riding my new bike to/from work. I figured out that it is about 3.5 miles one way and it takes me about 20 minutes. According to mapmyride.com I am burning about 140 calories each way. I'll take that! I figure that anything can help at this point. I just find that I am way more relaxed when I get to work without driving, plus it certainly hasn't hurt the pocketbook either. I used to pay about $10 for parking! Yikes!!

3 comments:

Megan Hall said...

Definitely get those shoes checked! And I'm glad to have company in the ride-to-work crew. It's so fun, and you're right - I get to work so much more relaxed yet energized I'm typing at double speed!

RunMama said...

Two bit of info for you and pitch them if hate them. :) 1:Everyone that has fitted me with a shoe has said that I need a stability shoe because of my weight and the way I land. WRONG! I decided to go with what I thought and it has worked. I got a Mizuno Wave creation 9 (for cushion and neutral to supination) This is far from what they told me. 2: I started seeing an ART chiropractor who works on my legs, hips, and back and it has been a miracle. I used to have shin, and ankle pain. NO MORE!

Anonymous said...

Shoes are pretty frequently the culprit with shin splints. Have you been tracking your mileage on your shoes? They say that you should replace them every 500 miles, but some people find that they need to replace theirs more often than that.

You might want to head to the running store and get fitted with a different model of shoe. They should be able to look at your gait and the wear patterns on your shoes to help you figure out if you need extra stability.

I tend to think that it's usually preferable to go for a neutral shoe, but if you're having problems (especially problems that might take you out of running), it's worth trying something else.