Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bad scale

*sigh* Wednesday is my weigh-in day.  The scale was kind, but not as kind as I feel like the amount of work I've done this past week should have warranted.  Whenever this happens I tend to look at what I've been doing and eating and find something I can change to hopefully boost my results in the next week.  I certainly can't fit any more exercise into my schedule, so that's not something I can change.  So this week I'm looking at making two more simple changes:

1. Stairs.  I'm that person that rides the elevator two floors.  Yep.  I know you've stared people like me down or made remarks when we've left the elevator...

For me, it isn't the climbing that I don't like.  It is what happens to me when I do climb stairs - or walk briskly - or even THINK about moving.  If you've had the pleasure of being with me during any one of those activities or more, you've undoubtedly noticed something unusual about my physical self.  My face turns bright red, no - bright purple.  Even the slightest bit of movement (okay, maybe more than the slightest) and I am all strawberry up top.  I can't help it.  This problem has plagued me since childhood.  No matter how fit or how thin I've been, this problem has never gone away, so I can assure you it isn't a case of being too out of shape.  It is just who I am.  Same goes for whenever I'm the least bit embarrassed, mad, or frustrated and even sometimes when I am not.  I cannot control it.  And it sucks.  So, imagine me walking up two flights of stairs to a meeting and walking in looking like I've just run 3 miles.  People make comments.  They're concerned for me.  "Are you okay?  Do you need some water?!"  No.  No no no.  I'm just ME.  So I ride the elevator.  BUT I know this is an easy thing I can do to add in a little extra exercise every day.  I guess for the meantime I'll just have to put up with the peanut gallery chiming in about how I look from time to time.

2. (I'm really scared to go here...) I am addicted to Diet Coke.  Ugh!  There, I said it!  Do I dare to attempt to curb my addiction?

I drink about one 20oz bottle during the day (this is cumulative, I usually drink only half of two different 20oz bottles - I know, I know, this problem has been documented) and between 1 and 2 cans a night.  I'm not ready to go cold turkey, so I was thinking about trying to just keep my first-thing-in-the-morning bottle and switching to water/crystal light for all other beverages.  Can I really sustain my thirst with WATER?!?  Will it really help?  Who knows...but I am willing to try!

*update* I originally wrote this post yesterday and have since not really put these items officially into action.  I HAVE used the stairs much more today than I usually do, but I'm on bottle #2 (but only my second half total of the day) of Diet Coke.  Also, as an fyi, I took a bit of a mental health day off of work yesterday and I did not exercise at all.  I am switching my weekly rest day from Friday to Wednesday, so I will be visiting the gym tomorrow.

I did swim today over my lunch hour with my husband.  We had a great time, but I was struggling a bit today to keep my mind and breathing focused.  I am trying out the new things that I learned at my swim lesson on Tuesday and maybe that is what's throwing me off.  It was a good workout regardless of how difficult it was for me.  Sadly, I did not get into the swim lesson class again for April.  I totally forgot to wake up and call in to register this morning and when I did call in, my Tuesday class was full.  I'm on the waiting list and am hoping to talk to Amy next week to see if there might be room for me.  If I don't get in, I'll still swim on my own on Tuesdays and maybe try for the class again in May.

No comments: