Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Feeling Good

Exercise and eating well give me a natural high.  Even in knowing this I still don't always find it easy to keep it up.  There are good days/weeks and there are bad days/weeks...months.  January was a very bad month.

Once late fall came and my schedule forced me to hang my commuter bike up, I lost all of my motivation.  Last spring and summer were momentous for me.  I started working with a Wellness Coach at my gym sometime in April 2011.  Jason worked with me to create goals, both short-term and very long-term.  I met with him weekly and through this process I reintroduced myself back into exercise.  First I took some intro classes, then I started "running" again, I began biking to work almost daily and I participated in a nine week women's strength training class.  By seeing my coach, I had accountability because every single week I set goals and when we met the following week, I needed to tell him which goals I met and which I didn't.  I hate admitting failure, so I just did whatever I could to make sure that I met those goals each week.  With his guidance I began to also change my eating habits for the better and I eventually rejoined Weight Watchers.   Between April and September I had lost about 30 lbs and I was keeping up momentum very nicely.  I did the Saint Paul Classic Bike Ride (26 miles) in September and then the Mankato River Ramble Bike Ride (42 miles) in October, but once October was into full swing, I stopped.  I was having back pain from carrying my daughter and from weight lifting, so I saw a physical therapist who was no help at all.  I was so afraid of the holiday season and what it could potentially do to all of the progress I had made so far.  My coaching had ended in September, but when I told him how scared I was for winter to come, he said that maybe I should look at winter as a maintenance time.  He said long as I wasn't gaining weight, I would still be meeting my goals.  So, I took on this mindset.  I made it through Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years without gaining more than a pound.  I was really happy with myself, but then somehow January began taking its toll. I was back to my old eating habits (not horrible, but not great) and I wasn't exercising AT ALL.  Every time I stepped on the scale, the number was creeping up and up and up.  In total, by the time I snapped myself out of my funk, I had gained 8 pounds.  8 pounds of stupidity, basically.  Now I have to lose those 8 again.  I have 4 left.  It sucks.

I woke up this morning excited for both my swim lesson yesterday, which went very well and for the workout I have planned for today.  I feel good.  I am happy to be in this place, but I know that there could be a bad day just around the corner and that's hard.

Yesterday's swim lesson was so good for me.  Amy gave me a few things to work on with my front crawl and suggested I work on flutter kicking and bilateral breathing.  I'm excited to get some practice in on these two things tomorrow.  Today's workout includes a 4 mile bike ride and 20 minutes of running.  Last time I biked at the gym, I used an Expresso bike, which was pretty neat.  There are  treadmills right across from the bikes, so I plan to dismount the bike and immediately get onto the treadmill.  Hello "brick" workout!  Here I come, jelly legs!

No comments: