Thursday, March 8, 2012

Breathe

I'm not very good at breathing.  I'm not good at it when I am swimming.  Not good at it when I am running.  I'm not even very good at it when I am sitting still.  I hold my breath a lot.  I suspected this was a problem whenever I attended yoga classes in the past and my breathing never matched up with the slow relaxed breaths the instructor demonstrated.  I tried, but I could never regulate my breathing.  I'm guessing swimming is more than 50% about the breathing.  I'm trying, I really am, but every once and a while I panic mid stroke and suck in a mouth/nose full of water.  I am improving though.  My swimming instructor gave me some exercises and some really great tips on Tuesday and I put them into practice today.  One thing I'd really like to work on is counting my laps!  I'm paying so much attention to my stroke, my breathing and to not swimming into my lane partner that I have so far failed to gather any sense of how much or how far I am swimming.  I need to swim with coins in my pocket and leave one at the end of the lane when I've finished 50 yards, haha.  Right, because I need to carry that extra weight with me!

Speaking of lane partners, I've had the same one - a cute boy - for the past two Thursdays: my husband!  We use our lunch hour to share a lane and I have to say it has been the highlight of my past 2 weeks.  :-)

No comments: