Friday, March 16, 2012

Feelin' hot hot hot

Today I conquered my first outdoor run on the training schedule.  I did 1.75 miles in about 20 minutes.  When I checked the weather before I left at noon it said it was already 72 degrees and climbing.  I live in Minnesota and the weather is terribly unusual for this time of year.  While a pleasant temperature for sitting outside and relaxing, I was not prepared for how hot 72 degrees would feel while running. I was a sweaty mess!  A beating red, sweaty mess.  And I know it wasn't just me because my husband ran (elsewhere) at the same time and he said the same thing.

My shins still bother me while running walking.  I did get this checked out last summer to eliminate any serious injuries and it was diagnosed as straight-up shin splints.  I went to Sports Medicine and they gave me some stretches to do, but they haven't helped.  The only thing that seems to help is putting more miles on my legs.  The more running/walking I do, the easier it gets with time.  Here's hoping that by June I'll be in a place of no pain for the race.

No comments: