Monday, March 19, 2012

Progress - or lack there of

I am mad.
I am working so hard, but I feel like I am making no progress.  I really think my problem is that I am going by the wrong numbers.  That darn scale just will not move!  I think I need to lock Mr. Scale away somewhere for a while and focus more on my training progress in each sport.  Then who knows, maybe when I pull my old friend back out, he might be kinder to me.

This weekend I biked to/from a friend's house on Saturday even though we had nearly hurricane strength wind gusts, but it felt so good to use an alternative mode of transport other than on just my commute to work.  On Sunday I did the swim thing and it was one of the best swims so far.  The pool was nearly empty and I was able to get in about 400 yards without too much rest in between each lap.  I switched between front crawl, front crawl with the buoy, flutter kicking with the board, back stroke and some side stroke for my cool down.  It felt great!  THAT is the kind of progress that needs to be my focus.

I treated myself with a haircut today.  I have naturally curly hair and a while ago I had tried out the Deva cut in order to enhance my curls.  I hated it.  It thinned out the ends of my hair way too much and just wasn't a flattering shape.  I let it grow out for - gosh - somewhere over six months, I think.  I was constantly throwing my hair up in a ponytail before/after swimming and before/after biking and I was loathing the ponytail.  So I took the plunge today and walked out of the salon with a bob that is just above my chin.  It feels SO good.  The stylist even commented on how thick my hair is and how much of it I have.  And here I had been thinking it was getting thin, but I guess it was just that stupid cut.  Phew!

I biked to work today.  It is still pretty warm and humid here.  I had no idea how to dress for the weather.  Give me under 20 degrees and I know just what to wear, but 62 at 7:30am?!  No idea.  I went with  my very light bike jacket and a short sleeve jersey with shorts.  I was a little toasty in the jacket, but it was good with the wind.  I'm looking forward to keeping it in the bag for the ride home!

No comments: