Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Me?! Tri?!

I'm resurrecting this blog 2 1/2 + years after my last post.  My life has changed a lot since June 2009 and I feel compelled to share my journey again.

Let's see - since 2009, I've had another child (a daughter, she's 17 months old), I've gained many pounds, I've lost many pounds, I tried running again, I signed up for the Twin Cities 10 Mile, I decided not to run the Twin Cities 10 mile, I reinforced my hatred for running, I purchased a new road bike, I biked my first organized bike ride, I biked my second organized bike ride, I officially became a winter bike commuter and most importantly, I registered for my very first triathlon.

With my shift in focus from running to biking, I decided that I wanted to give a sprint triathlon a try.  The race includes a .25 mile swim, 11 mile bike and 5k run.  Yes, I still have to run.  Boo.  But at least in my training I will also have days where I get to do activities that I like instead of always thinking "oh god, do I have to run again?!"  But, this also means that I need to begin a new sport: swimming.  The only swimming I've done in my adulthood is the occasional "dip in the pool" on vacations.  I've never swam a lap in my life and here I am faced with needing to do 17+ lengths of the pool during the race - in open water.  Eeek.

So, I signed up for swim lessons through my gym.  6 people are in my advanced beginner lesson with Amy on Tuesdays through the month of March.  My first class was last week.  I was sick-nervous about it for days.  It wasn't the actual swimming that was scaring me, it was the logistics of going to the gym to swim.  I am very very locker room-shy and this causes me great stress with every visit to the gym, but this time I was adding a swim suit to the mix.  I was petrified.  Somehow I made it through and found myself standing next to the pool.  In my suit.  In public.  Once the class started I relaxed and began to enjoy myself.  I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I felt so comfortable and happy in the water.  I came into the pool with no ability to breathe in the water and I left class being able to do about 50 yards fairly well.

Since my class last week I've been in the pool three more times (Wed, Thurs and Sun).  I've also put together a training schedule based on a few that I found online.  I am on day three.  This is all so exciting...BUT...I have yet to throw running back into the mix.  * cue ominous music *

Running and I have such a hate-hate relationship.  I'm not sure how I am going to make this work.  I've done plenty of 5k races, but on fresh legs and lungs. Only time will tell if this is going to work for me.

I have my second swim lesson in just a little while.  I can't wait to get back into the pool!

No comments: